National Youth Sports Week
In July we celebrate National Youth Sports Week. This year, thousands of youth sports coaches, athletic directors, recreation directors, association members, sponsors, young athletes, and parents are showing their support with a focus on P.L.A.Y.S. ~ Physical activity, Living healthy, Access, Youth development, Safety. Evidence shows that sports-based activities build self-efficacy, self-esteem, and self-determination in youth. Sports can also help youth develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes physical activity and wellness. Encourage the youth in your programs to get active with the resources below!
- Find out what the National Council of Youth Sports is doing to promote physical activity, safety, and leadership during National Youth Sports Week and how to support the campaign in your community.
- Reach out to local parks and recreation departments, Girls on the Run chapters, YMCAs or YWCAs, religious organizations, and community centers, which may offer programs or connections to sport-based activities that can be incorporated into your healthy life skills curricula.
- Explore resources and materials from ChildObesity180 to help you promote healthy behaviors among their youth in out-of-school settings.
- Get tips from the CDC on how out-of-school program leaders can integrate physical activity and nutritious foods into their APP programs.
- Examine statistics on adolescent trends in physical activity, and evidence-based interventions to effect positive change.
Help the youth in your programs develop and maintain healthy lifestyles!